There are a lot of skin problems we encounter from time to time. Acne, Rashes, and Wounds are some of the significant issues. These skin ailments tend to leave off the skin in a certain timespan, but the scars they leave can be very daunting when getting rid of them. These scars are uninvited guests who dwell on the skin, especially the face. You try many ointments and other over-to-counter products, but the results might not come out as expected. You'll be more likely to face side effects with those ointments than positive results. In such scenarios, the best essential oil for scars can be your best friend.
Essential oils are simply considered ‘healing natural oils’ and are effective for scars. Whichever of the best essential oil for scars you choose, it’s easy to use and economical to buy!
Below, we will shed light on all the necessary essential oils and scars topics. We'll provide you with a list, and you can decide which essential oil you'll choose as your best oil for scars.
So, let's dive into the text and bring out your lost skin glory and charm.
What are Scars & Types of Scars
A scar is a mark left on the skin after a wound or injury is healed. They are a natural part of the healing process. Usually, they may fade over time, but sometimes, they will not disappear completely.
Depending on the wound/injury, scars can have different textures and types. These include:
- Normal fine-line scars - These types of scars are formed when a minor cut or wound heals. They appear as a raised line, gradually fading and flattening over time. Sometimes, these scars are not usually painful after surgery but may be itchy for a few months.
- Keloid scars - An overgrowth of skin tissue caused by too much collagen production at the site of a wound forms a keloid scar. These scars are raised above the skin and grow even after the wound has healed. They can be pink, red, or the same color or appear darker than the surrounding skin.
- Hypertrophic scars - Like keloid scars, hypertrophic scars result from the body producing too much collagen in the form of red bumps at the site of a wound. However, these don’t extend beyond the boundary of the wounded area. They may thicken for up to six months before they fully heal.
- Contracture scars - Often caused by burns, these scars cause the skin to shrink and tighten, partially restricting someone’s ability to move. Sometimes they can also extend deeper into the skin, affecting muscles and nerves.
- Atrophic scars - Losing a muscle or fat from an area of the body forms this type of scar. The skin sinks, causing tightness in the affected area.
Reasons for the Appearance of Scars on the Skin
The face is not the only place where scars can appear, but many body parts can have them. Scars are the leftovers of many skin issues, including
- Inflammatory Acne: Having swollen, painful, and reddish acne increases the chances of the worst acne scars. This acne dives deeper into the skin and damages sensitive skin tissues. This further leads to long-lasting scars. Furthermore, inflammatory acne can leave scars if you don't treat it ASAP.
- Wounds: When the deep, thick layer of the skin is damaged, it is called a "wound." Our bodies naturally produce new collagen fibers. It is a natural protein that mends the wound and causes a scar. The quality, texture, and look of new scar tissue differ from the surrounding tissue.
- Chickenpox: No matter whether you leave chickenpox alone or scratch them, they cause scars. Chickenpox penetrates deeper into the skin and causes spots with a sunken appearance.
- Fever Blisters: Usually, fever blisters don't cause any scars after they disappear. But excessive scratching of the scab causes scars for sure. Well, whichever type of scars you have, the best essential oil for scars can help you remove them. For fever blisters, you can use our Tea Tree oil for cold sores. On the plus side, we also present you with the best essential oils for fever blisters. These essential oils will help remove fever blisters and help overcome other skin issues that fever blisters become the cause.
Can Scars Fade Away on Their Own?
It mainly depends on the cause. It is very unlike for a scar to completely disappear if caused by an invasive procedure or significant injury. However, you can be luckier with minor cuts and wounds since they leave a barely visible mark that can disappear within a year.
The number of factors such as genetics or how well you treat your wound determines how the resulting scar (s) will look. Certainly, nourishing the skin with carrier oils and some of the best essential oil for scars healing can make a big difference here…
How can Essential Oils Help Remove Scars?
Many essential oils are believed to be useful for scars in many ways. Using essential oils can help regenerate dead skin cells and form new skin tissues. Moreover, some essential oils also give many rejuvenating benefits to the skin. They may help reduce inflammation and redness on scars. As a result, they balance skin tone and reduce the appearance of scars.
You often feel severe itching on scars, and this itching can cause scratch scars. Likewise, some essential oils can lower the itching sensation on wounds and scars. Some oils also have the potential to heal wounds at the beginning level. So, your best essential oil for scars may be one of those oils and may heal wounds without letting them become scars.
What Essential Oils are Best for Scars: Best Options Available
What will happen if you google for the best essential oil for scars and find an endless list? Answer: You'll end up without making any choice. We've solved this issue for you and prepared a list of the top 11 essential oils. You can choose your best essential oil for scars to your satisfaction. Each essential oil can stand out from other ones. So, let's get started without wasting time.
Carrot Seed essential oil comes from steam distilled "wild carrot" seeds. In the skin care industry, the oil is added to cosmetics, creams, and lotions for its skin-protection properties. This oil may be your best essential oil for scars for two reasons: it works wonders for your scary skin and is safe for people with psoriasis or eczema. Moreover, the oil is also used in anti-aging beauty products to hydrate the skin and balance skin tone.
Cedarwood essential oil can be extracted from leaves, needles, wood, and berries of cedar trees. This is the only best essential oil for scars that may help reduce acne and prevent further breakouts. This oil is unsurprisingly part of the list when discussing essential oils for wound healing. The oil may help stop scar growth by encouraging faster wound healing.
The benefits of Chamomile oil for skin make it a favorite of skin glow seekers. Produced from chamomile trees, Chamomile essential oil has traditionally been used in cosmetics and skincare products. Besides its claimed benefits for ulcers, the oil also possesses many skin benefits. The oil can add wonders to your overall skin beauty, from helping with acne and acne scars to balancing skin tone. Regarding speed, Chamomile essential oil helps remove acne scars faster than any other essential oil for scars. Chamomile essential oil can also relieve lower irritation and itching on scarred skin.
Frankincense oil's magical properties for skin insisted us to consider it your would-be best essential oil for scars. This essential oil is a substance extracted from the Boswellia tree's resin (gum). Old civilizations used the oil for many health and skin benefits. The oil may offer smooth, scar-free skin to its users.
Steam distillation of the leaves of "Pelargonium Roseum" gives the Geranium essential oil. Ancient folklore suggests a large number of Geranium essential oil benefits for human health. Studies show that Geranium essential oil may help reduce acne breakouts and wound infection. Plus, the oil may make even skin tone and help reduce irritation on skin scars. Furthermore, the oil may help with aging wrinkles due to its astringent qualities. More importantly, the Geranium essential oil may promote collagen production naturally. An increase in collagen protein is directly proportional to the speed of development of new skin cells.
Native to Southern Europe and the Mediterranean, the Helichrysum Splendidum plant gives us Helichrysum essential oil. The oil may fasten the wound healing process and prevent scars from appearing. Apart from it, Helichrysum essential oil may work well against infectious bacteria. This way, the scars fade sooner without turning into a long-lasting sore. Also, the oil helps heal deeper scars caused by chickenpox.
This is 2022, a clinical trial now supports the effectiveness of ointments made with helichrysum (known by its local name Immortelle) for wound healing in diabetic rodent models. (Andjic, 2022)
Lavender plants, aka Lavandula Angustifolia, give us the versatile Lavender essential oil. This oil should be the best essential oil for scars because it can be used undiluted. Many people with sensitive skin can start with Lavender essential oil for their acne and wound scars. Lavender essential oil is considered very useful for removing burns and wound scars. The oil can penetrate deeper into the skin and remove scars quickly. Not only this, but Lavender essential oil may also help reduce wrinkles, lessen acne, and speed up the wound healing process. Traditionally used as a perfect wound healer, the oil is now widely used as the best oil for scars after surgery.
8. Neroli Essential Oil
Comes from the blossoms of bitter orange trees or "Citrus Aurantium var. Amara" botanically. The oil carries potential benefits for your overall skin health. The oil may help reduce the appearance of scars and marks by maintaining the skin moist. Neroli essential oil can also lower the irritation and itchiness of wound scars. Moreover, the oil may promote the regeneration of skin cells damaged by wounds and acne. This property makes the oil one of the best essential oils for dark spots on the face, stretch marks, and scars. Daily Use of Neroli essential oil will help maintain your skin's original condition and add a glowing touch.
We always see Patchouli in the experts’ advised list of the best essential oils for scar tissue. This herbaceous essential oil is obtained from the leaves of a kind of aromatic herb, "Patchouli." It may help our body produce more collagen. As a result, the wound-healing process fastens, and the chances of scar appearance are lower. Moreover, The oil's pain-relieving qualities may help lower the pain on sensitive scars.
10. Rose Essential Oil
Rose essential oil comes from the petals of many rose flowering plants. For centuries, Rose essential oil has been the favorite of queens. The oil may not only help fade scars, but it retains moisture of the skin too. Pain-relieving properties of Rose essential oil may help reduce pain on half-frown wound scars. Moreover, the oil may significantly help reduce wrinkles and signs of aging.
Tea Tree essential oil, aka Melaleuca oil, is extracted from the leaves of Tea Tree plants. It must be your best essential oil for scars as it takes very little time to get your skin rid of scars. Especially, the oil may help remove scars left by cold sores. Not only this, but Tea Tree essential oil can also benefit other skin conditions like wrinkles, acne, dark spots, aging marks, etc. Also, don't forget to use Tea Tree oil soap alongside the oil for better and quick results.
Essential Oil Scar blend recipe: For Extraordinary Results
One best essential oil for scars alone can work for unwanted scars. But preparing essential oil blends can bring epic benefits. We're presenting different blends for each kind of scar we mentioned above.
Recipe for Acne Scars
Recipe for Chickenpox or Wound Scars
Jojoba oil doesn't only act as a carrier oil, but it also contains skin-friendly properties. Using Jojoba oil for dilution will add a layer of versatility to the blend.
Please note that rosemary may be problematic for people with high blood pressure, epilepsy, or psychotic conditions.
How to Apply Essential Oils for Skin Healing and Scar Removal
Dilute essential oils into the carrier oil of your choice.
Consider that 1 teaspoon is roughly equivalent to 100 drops of oil. For most oils, you can safely add 3 drops of each essential oil to that. (Although some essential oils like Melissa oil have more stringent safety dilutions, please check each oil's safety details accordingly).
Apply directly to the skin but not directly over the wound.
Apply as many times as required. Do not wash off. It makes sense to use the oils after bathing in the evening.
Safety Precautions While Using the Best Essential Oil for Scars
Want to remove scars with the help of the best essential oil for scars? Then, you'll have to take a few things into account. Essential oils can cause little to no side effects if used correctly and safely. It would be best if you kept in mind the following things.
- First, never forget to dilute your preferred essential oil for scars before topical application. Undiluted essential oils can cause skin irritation and burns. For dilution and better results, choosing a skin-friendly carrier oil is better. These include Jojoba oil, Olive oil, and Argan oil.
- Second, apply a drop or two of the preferred essential oil on your skin and leave it for 24 hours. If the essential oil passes this patch test, it means this is the best essential oil for scars for you. Make use of the oil twice daily – in the morning and evening.
- Third, don't let any essential oil come in contact with your eyes if you use it on facial scars. Also, keep children, pregnant women, and pets away from these essential oils.
- Fourth, store essential oils blends in a dark amber glass bottle and keep them at a cool temperature. Shake well before using these blends.
- Lastly, you can use your best essential oil for scars by using your fingers only. Dip the first two fingers of both hands into the blend/oil and dab it on the scar. This dabbing must be in a patting and circular style.
More Tips to Get Rid of Skin Scars
Want to see the effects of the best essential oil for scars sooner? Use other natural remedies alongside. Let's discuss a few of them in brief.
Aloe Vera is a blessing for people with many skin conditions. Applying Aloe Vera directly to the scar is the most effective method. You must remove the Aloe Vera leaf's dark-green layer and gather the light-green substance in a bowl. Rub that substance onto the scars for 30 minutes and wash them with cool water. Repeat the process twice a day, and the scar will start disappearing within a couple of months.
Sweet and delicious, honey can also remove or fade skin scars. Just take one teaspoon of honey. Apply and gently massage onto the area. Wash it after 20 minutes. Repeat the process thrice a day and see the results within three months.
Coconut oil is so versatile that you can use it both for dilution and direct application. Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and apply it by massaging for 10-15 minutes. Don't wash it right away. Leave it for at least 1 hour for proper absorption. Repeat 2-4 times daily.
Many skin conditions like acne, burns, minor cuts, wounds, and fever blisters tend to vanish, but the ugly scars they leave can be the reason for your sleeplessness. From the list mentioned above, you can use a particular best essential oil for scars as each can help you mitigate the scars alone.
However, using the blends is just fine as well. Please take notice of the safety measures we described and keep yourself safe from adverse reactions. Also, we provided you with some other natural ways to get rid of unwanted scars. Now is the time you fulfill your wish of getting rid of acne, wounds, and burns.