Lemon Essential Oil: Blends, Uses, and Benefits
At VINEVIDA we prefer to source our lemon essential oil straight from Italy, where ideal climate conditions add a healthy splash of sunshine to our product. The bright and cheerful scent of lemon oil adds a fresh, clean feeling to any room, and is long-time favorite of many aromatherapy users. Include this oil in your daily routine and enjoy its uplifting aroma all day long.
Citrus Limon, or, the lemon tree, is native to Southern Asia. Though the origin of the lemon is actually unknown, researchers suspect it initially came from either Northeastern India, North Burma, or China. During the times of Ancient Rome, the lemon traveled all the way to Italy, which is now famous for its various lemon products.
Today, we use lemon for many different things including food, drinks, fragrances, and cleaning products. In aromatherapy, lemon essential oil is prized for its potential ability to combat stress and fatigue, as well as increasing mental alertness and cognitive function.
Lemon Essential Oil Benefits: Component Breakdown
Every essential oil can be broken down into core components. In this section, we will discuss some of the properties that make up lemon essential oil, and how they may be beneficial.
- a-Terpineol: a-Terpineol is a common additive to fragrances due to its pleasant smell, which is reminiscent of lilacs. Also, a-terpineol is known to have anti-hypertensive properties, as well as showing effect as an antiproliferative. Though more research is necessary, scientists propose a-terpineol may be effective against six different cancer cell lines.
- a-Pinene: Alpha-pinene shows indications of being an effective antimicrobial agent. A study looking at patients with infectious endocarditis saw positive results, and scientists recommend taking a closer look at a-pinene in terms of its use in antimicrobial therapy.
- Geranial: Geranial has a strong citrus scent, giving lemons their zesty fragrance. Most of the lemon essential oil benefits are acquired with the help of Geranial.
- Limonene: Limonene comes from the rind of citrus fruits. Studies indicate it has antioxidant properties, as well as the ability to work as an anti-inflammatory agent. Limonene is a common additive in many products, including drinks, food, cleaning supplies, insect repellents, and cosmetics.
- b-Pinene: This constituent is a common additive in both chilled dairy products and baked goods. It also shows positive indications of being an effective antibacterial and antimicrobial agent.
- Gamma-Terpinene: Gamma-terpinene is also found in eucalyptus oil, and research indicates it has anti-inflammatory properties.
Lemon Essential Oil Uses: For Wholesale Purpose
Aromatherapy is one of the primary lemon essential oil uses. Studies show aromatherapy to be an effective method of reducing stress and improving sleep quality. Aromatherapy is becoming increasingly popular as people turn more and more to natural methods of healing.
Lemon essential oil has a fresh, citrusy scent that is instantly mood-lifting, making it the perfect oil for aromatherapy. The different categories of aromatherapy are cosmetic, massage, and olfactory (smell). Popular methods include using diffusers, adding oil to massage oils or products, or simply inhaling from the bottle. Never apply essential oils directly to the skin; you must dilute them with a carrier oil first.
Lemon essential oil’s fresh scent—in combination with its antimicrobial properties—makes it a great choice for a natural household cleaner. In addition, it is very effective at cutting grease, which means it is perfect for use in the kitchen. Many commercial cleaners contain many chemicals, including phthalates. Essential oils such as lemon can provide a safe alternative to using synthetic fragrances and disinfectants. Keep reading to find out how you can make your own DIY cleaning products with lemon essential oil!
When you look at a product and see the word “fragrance” on the ingredients list, it may be hiding toxic chemicals and irritants. As fragrance is considered a secret of the trade, companies are not required to disclose what goes into them. A safe alternative to using synthetic fragrances is to use essential oils. Lemon essential oil’s citrusy aroma makes it a great way to add a boost to your favorite natural products. Add a few drops to lotions, creams, and even bath salts to enjoy the fresh fragrance during your daily routine.
Soapmaking is another one from the lemon essential oil uses list. Many soaps you see in the store are full of toxins that can potentially absorb through the skin. This is why many people are turning to natural soaps, which offer much more transparency in terms of additives. Forecasts expect that by 2026 the essential oil soap market will almost be double what it was ten years prior. Here at VINEVIDA, we supply premium essential oils at a competitive rate, to help support businesses who create safe, clean products.
What Blends Well with Lemon Essential Oil?
One of the great benefits of using essential oils is that they give you the ability to come up with your own blend of fragrances! Lemon essential oil is a top note. In fragrance terms, this means it is one of the first recognizable scents in an aroma. Try combining lemon essential oil with other citrus oils, or even rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, and geranium!
DIY Around the House
Earlier we discussed the benefits of using lemon essential oil to replace potentially harmful commercial cleaning products. As promised, here are instructions on how to make your own multi-surface cleaner—not only does it work, but it also helps cut down on plastic waste as you can simply refill your glass bottle as necessary!
- Mix 2 cups of vinegar (white) with an equal amount of water
- Add 1 teaspoon of a natural dish soap such as Seventh Generation
- Add 30 drops of lemon essential oil and 20 drops of lime essential oil
In addition to cleaning products, you can also use essential oils to create your own air fresheners. To receive lemon essential oil benefits via aromatherapy we recommend this room spray:
- Fill a spray bottle with equal parts witch hazel and distilled water
- Add 25-30 drops of lemon essential oil (you can also mix it up and combine lemon with lime, orange, or even grapefruit essential oils!)
- Shake well and mist around the room or on linens as needed for a burst of freshness
Is Lemon Essential Oil Safe For Dogs?
No. As you now know, one of the components of citrus oils is limonene. It is a common bioinsecticide, but it can wreak havoc on the livers of cats, as well as older dogs or those with weak immune systems. Only a few licks of lemon essential oil could cause your pet fatal injury. Always keep essential oils well out of reach.
Your pet can’t ingest citrus oils but can you? Again, the answer is no.
While lemons themselves are a great addition to food and drinks, lemon essential oil is not. Essential oils are extremely strong. If you think of how potent the rind of one lemon is, imagine how potent the oils from multiple rinds would be! Furthermore, water and oil don’t combine well. This means that if you ingest lemon essential oil after adding it to your food or drink, it could separate in the body and cause internal burning or irritation. Take a look at this website for more information on what not to do with essential oils.
Why Choose VINEVIDA
At VINEVIDA we are firm believers in being transparent with our customers. We provide GC-MS, CoA, and SDS to prove the premium quality of all of our oils. We believe in sustainably sourcing our plants, meaning we work with over 40 countries around the world. Our goal is to provide the most competitive wholesale pricing possible, while still offering high-quality products.
Lemon essential oil has a great, zesty fragrance that can add a burst of freshness to many different products. Lemon essential oil benefits are plentiful and can be gained in many different ways.
Bulk Essential Oils | Wholesale Pricing | 100% Pure & Natural
In line with the recent increase in demand for clean, organic products, many people want to buy soaps they know are free of synthetic chemicals. Essential oils are the perfect addition to natural soaps, as they offer strong fragrances without all the toxins. Here at VINEVIDA, we offer bulk essential oils with competitive wholesale pricing. Contact us now to find out how we can provide you with what you need.