Rose Geranium Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, and Blends
Just like lying in a bed of roses, VINEVIDA’s rose geranium essential oil will surround you with its sweet, floral aroma. Coming from a species of geranium cultivated in South Africa for their prize-winning fragrance, this oil is a favorite of perfumeries. It’s one of aromatherapy’s favorite tools for achieving younger, smoother-looking skin, while geranium oil’s other properties help induce rest and relaxation.
Pelargonium roseum is a species of geranium native to South Africa, which is particularly prevalent in the region of Cape Town. It gets its name from its strong, rose-like scent.
Rose Geranium Essential Oil Benefits: Component Breakdown
- Citronellol: Citronellol is a monoterpene and can either occur as a (-) or a (+)-isomer. The (+) is most often found in lemongrasses, such as citronella, while the (-) is more common in roses and geraniums. It is a common additive to fragrances and perfumes to achieve a rose-reminiscent aroma.
- Geraniol: As the name indicates, geraniol is one of the main components of rose geranium oil. Many plants manufacture geraniol as their primary means of communication. Some important pollinators are seduced, whereas other less attractive species are repelled.
- Linalool: Linalool is perhaps one of the most important components in aromatherapy. Rodent trials suggest that linalool has both anti-inflammatory (Qi An, 2021) and antidepressant (Dos Santos, 2022) actions. Linalool has a pretty fragrance, which is often added to creams and lotions. It is sometimes added to wines to give a floral, fruity bouquet. (Fereirra, 2010)
- Citronellyl formate: It is a clear-liquid ester with a strong floral, fruity odor. It is a common flavoring agent and food additive.
- Isomenthone: A naturally occurring iso-menthone that smells mildly of peppermint.
- 10-epi-Gamma-Eudesmol: A sesquiterpenoid.
- Geranyl Formate: Geranyl formate is the formate ester of the component geraniol. It has a fresh, rose-blossom-like fragrance.
Rose Geranium Essential Oil Uses: For Wholesale Purposes
The scent of rose geranium and the traditional rose are similar, with subtle differences. Both have the strong, sweet, floral aroma we all know and love, but the rose geranium has hints of green and citrus, meaning it can also be used in more masculine fragrances. Rose geranium falls are classed as a middle or heart note, which balances top and base notes and creates longer-lasting aromas.
Aromatherapy is widely used as a complementary therapy to help reduce stress and anxiety levels. Certain essential oils can induce certain reactions in the body. Some increase energy and alertness, and others calm and soothe.
A 2019 research group from Japan showed that inhalation of geranium essential oil might reduce heart rate and blood pressure. (Masubuchi, 2019) Mice were used since animals are believed to be immune to the placebo effect. They enjoyed 30 minutes of exposure to the essential oil vapors, and their brain tissues were analyzed. It is thought that the changes may have been brought about by linalool.
This follows a lovely trial done in 2015 in Iran. One hundred ladies who had been admitted to Bent al-Hoda Hospital in the city of Bojnord in the North Khorasan province of Iran between 2012-213 were divided into two groups. One group was given geranium essential oil to sniff during their labor, and the other group was given a placebo. They were all first-time mums and were given a Spielberger questionnaire to assess their anxiety levels. Post-intervention showed that the anxiety had decreased considerably in the geranium group; however, strangely, there was no change in their diastolic blood pressure. (Fakari, 2015)
Geranium oils are wonderfully hydrating for the complexion. It nourishes and protects the skin and is tremendous for very dry skin. Aromatherapists often add geranium to creams and ointments for dry and flaky skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
Now that you know the research behind why rose geranium is good for both mood and skin, you can likely see what a great option it would be to add to massage oils. Add a few drops to a carrier oil, such as jojoba or fractionated coconut, and massage into the skin. Let the floral fragrance help calm and soothe you.
A rich, floral rosey fragrance for a fraction of the price of rose.
What Blends Well with Rose Geranium Essential Oil?
For bright summery fragrances, geranium oil blends well with citrus scents such as sweet orange, grapefruit, and lemongrass. For a more exotic blend, with a little hint of warmth, try cinnamon bark, bergamot, or cedarwood oils.
DIY Project: Rose Spray
This body spray's sweet, floral aroma is perfect for a refreshing mist while out in the sun or even to use as a mild fragrance.
What you will need:
- Large Dark, Glass Spray Bottle (Plastic can break down due to the potency of the oils, and heat and light can cause evaporation or oxidation.)
- Distilled or Filtered Water
- Rose Water
- Witch Hazel
- Rose Geranium Essential Oil
- Fill the bottle ⅓ with distilled water
- Add 4 tbsp each of witch hazel and rose water
- Add 2 tbsp of coconut water
- Add 3 drops of rose geranium oil
Shake and mist as preferred. Use immediately...
Not suitable for use in the first 16 weeks of pregnancy.
Is Rose Geranium Essential Oil Safe for Dogs?
Online you can find many DIY recipes for tick repellents for dogs. Many of these recipes include rose geranium oil since linalool has natural insecticide properties. (Beier, 2004)
At first glance, this sounds like a great alternative to other potentially harmful repellents. However, it is important to remember how concentrated essentials are. Never let your dog ingest oils, including putting them anywhere your pet could manage to lick at them. Additionally, the scent of essential oils is very potent, even for us. The smell may be uncomfortable for your pet. If you are going to use essential oils on or around your animal, it is important to consult with a vet first to ensure the method and oil you wish to use won’t cause your dog harm. If you aren’t sure, it’s best to avoid it.
Additionally, if diffusing oils in the house, always make sure your dog has an open door to leave the room if he or she becomes uncomfortable, and keep notice of any signs of odd behavior.
Rose geranium is a favorite of many for its sweet, floral fragrance. Most common in perfumes or as an additive in cosmetics. Geranium offers a sweet heart note that adds a romantic softness to blends. It is a happy and relaxing fragrance. VINEVIDA offers bulk rose geranium essential oil for all our artisan perfumers, free shipping, and a money-back guarantee.
Best smelling rose geranium
This is the BEST smelling rose geranium I have ever smelled. I got 120 ml bottle of it in January for $38.99 and now that same amount costs $147.00!!! Yikes. What happened??? Too expensive for my soap products. I’ll have to find something else. Really disappointed.
A lot of rose geranium oil at this price point can smell very synthetic. This oil smells like a REAL flower! Love the quality, will buy again.
I love it
was'nt sure how rosie this would smell but I love it
I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this scent since it is very strong, so use sparingly and in a blend with lemon or lemongrass. I’ve had a mixed bag of feedback, people either love it or don’t like it at all. I bought a 1 lb size last year and I thought the price was high then, but I’m shocked that it’s now three times as much! I should have charged more for my soaps with rose geranium
One of my favorite oils - top quality and reasonably priced.