Aging is a privilege denied to many, so we should embrace each stage of the aging process. However, being older doesn’t mean we have to look old. On the contrary, we are looking after our aging skin has many benefits, not just superficial ones such as looking younger or trying to hold onto our youth. So, let’s look at what essential oils we can do to keep our skin looking its best.
How does Skin Change With Age?
As we age, our skin becomes more fragile, thinner, and prone to more diseases. We bruise more easily. Scratches and sores take longer to heal. Our skin loses its elasticity and plumpness. Years of exposure to the sun or tanning start to take their toll. To minimize these things and keep our skin as good as we can, we must begin taking care of it and make it a priority.
Related Content: 9 Best Carrier Oils For Skin Firming, Hydrating, And Maintaining Healthy Skin
What are the Best Essential Oils for Mature Skin?
What essential oils can we add to our skincare regime as it matures? Frankincense and mature skin. They are both Frankincense and Rose, but there are many options. Let’s break it down and look at my top 5 essential oils for mature skin.
1. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense (Boswellia serrata) is said to have a rejuvenating effect on mature skin and is used in many anti-aging skin care products. In addition, it can help reduce skin imperfections such as pigmentation and scarring, making it a must-have for mature skin.
Related Content: How To Use Frankincense Essential Oil for Skin Care
2. Rose Essential Oil
Rose (Rosa Damascena) helps hydrate the skin, promotes circulation, and can balance the natural skin oil. In addition, the anti-inflammatory properties of Rose may help reduce any redness of the skin. Another vital aspect of Rose is that it teaches us about love, particularly self-love, so it will help us embrace our maturing skin and body.
3. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Another excellent oil for mature skin is Sandalwood (Santalum Album). It is very soothing and moisturizing, and its anti-inflammatory properties may help support the skin.
Related Content: 10 Best Essential Oils To Stimulate Collagen: Investigating The Truth
4. Neroli Essential Oil
Neroli (Citrus Aurantium) can help reduce irritation and redness and is excellent for all skin types, including compassionate ones. For mature skin, it can have a rejuvenating effect on the skin and can stimulate the growth of healthy new cells.
5. Rose Geranium Essential Oil
Rose Geranium (Pelargonium Roseum) is another excellent oil for all skin types, including mature ones. It is said to be balancing for the skin and emotions, but it can also help regulate sebum production, making it a valuable addition to the skincare routine of those with dry or oily skin.
Related Content: Best Essential Oils for Wrinkles: Uncover Your Most Beautiful Skin
DIY Aromatherapy Recipes For Mature Skin
In an amber bottle, add:
- ½ oz of Jojoba Oil
- ½ oz of Rosehip Oil
- 10 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Rose Geranium Essential Oil
Method of Use: Place all the ingredients into the amber bottle, pop on the lid, and shake to blend them. Rub a few drops into your skin daily as part of your skincare routine.
What Else is Important to Keep My Mature Skin Looking Good?
- One key thing you can do for your skin as it matures is to drink water. Drinking water keeps your skin hydrated and stops it from drying out. When our skin is dry, it can become itchy and prone to outside forces.
- Make sure you apply good sunscreen to your skin daily. The sun can dry and burn your skin, so apply sunscreen daily, especially during warmer weather. In addition, wear a hat and sunglasses to minimize sun exposure.
- Stop smoking. The health effects of smoking are well known, but we also know that smoking can affect the skin.
- Keep stress to a minimum, or learn to manage your stress levels better. Chen notes the link between stress and the skin and how stress can aggravate skin conditions. Lucky for us that we can use essential oils to manage our stress levels.
Related Content: 10 Best Essential Oils for Skin Tightening: A Practical Skin Care Guide
As our skin changes, so too should our skincare products. Choosing the right products can make all the difference and help our skin look its best. So embrace your maturing skin, and choose oils that will help it look its best - because when you look good, you feel good, and when you feel good, you look good.