Balsam Fir Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, and Blends
Send your senses on a walk through the woods with the earthy, resinous scent of balsam fir essential oil. The spicy aroma of fir is a particular favorite during the holidays, but it can offer a festive air all year round. Add fir oil to candles, soaps, or even create your own room-freshening spray. With balsam fir oil you can bring the great outdoors inside—without having to worry about the weather!
Balsam fir oil comes from the needles of the “Abies balsamea”, a North American fir tree. The tree is native to Eastern and Central Canada, making the Northern country one of the most significant producers of fir oil. The balsam fir also has a significant ecological role, providing shelter and protection for animals during Canada’s often harsh winters. It additionally serves as a food source for rabbits, snowshoe hares, chickadees, crossbills, and other forest-dwelling creatures. This gives us somewhat of an idea of how beneficial this oil can be, as it is able to provide vital nutrients and minerals to those animals.
Why Choose VINEVIDA
Though ancient use of balsam fir focused mainly on cuisine and medicine, its uses have now expanded. At VINEVIDA we carefully collect fresh needles from the Abies balsamea and extract the oil using a steam-distillation process. Throughout this process, special care is taken to ensure that no balsam fir essential oil properties are lost. The oil we offer at VINEVIDA is of premium quality, resulting in clear color and a strong fragrance that makes it perfect for adding to products such as lotions, soaps, and cleaning products.
Component Breakdown of Balsam Fir Essential Oil
- B-pinene: Very common in many essential oils, b-pinene is in the monoterpene group. It has a smell reminiscent of pine and contributes to balsam fir oil’s invigorating aroma. Though more research is needed, studies indicate b-pinene to be an antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer agent.
- Delta-3-Carene: d-3-carene is a monoterpene, and one of the main reasons of the sharp, resinous smell of fir trees. Studies show d-3-carene can potentially offer benefits in terms of bone health, as well as being an effective antifungal agent.
- Bornyl Acetate: This component of balsam fir oil is an acetate ester. It is a common additive in food and flavorings, as well as having use as an anti-odor agent.
- a-Pinene: Another monoterpene, a-Pinene is also common in the essential oils of many plants. This component shows indications of being an effective antimicrobial agent, leading scientists to make the recommendation for further research on its use in antimicrobial therapy. Similar to b-Pinene, it also shows signs of being an effective agent in many other types of treatments.
- Limonene: Limonene also falls under the monoterpene classification. It gets its name from the French word “limon”, as it is most prevalent in the rinds of citrus fruits. In balsam fir oil it contributes to the resinous pine-like aroma, and studies indicate it has many potential health benefits.
- B-Phellandrene: b-Phellandrene occurs naturally in Canadian firs. It is a common additive to fragrances, due to its aroma, which is mild and smells of mint and sweet-citrus.
- Camphene: Camphene is also common in many fragrances, as well as being a useful flavoring agent.
- Terpineol: Terpineol is a terpenoid that has been modified by an alcohol. It has a pleasant aroma, with a scent similar to that of lilacs. Studies done on terpineols indicate their potential use as anti-hypertensive agents, in addition to their potential anticancer properties.
Wholesale Use of Balsam Fir Essential Oil
As a manufacturer, VINEVIDA produces a variety of different oils and balsam fir happens to be one of the most popular! Our oils are 100% pure and natural, with no chemical additives. As a result, you will note a marked difference between the scent of mass-produced, low-quality products, and that of VINEVIDA’s. We place a focus on customer satisfaction and try to provide the most competitive prices possible for our wholesale consumers.
Balsam fir oil shows promising indications as an antifungal agent, which means it can potentially help purify the air. Use fir oil in room sprays, cleaning products, and diffusers to add a burst of freshness to any room.
Balsam fir needles contain many vitamins, including vitamin C. This is what makes it such an important source of food for many forest-dwelling rodents and small animals. One of the problems with vitamin C and skincare is that though it offers many benefits it requires the use of a delivery agent. Balsam fir contains limonene, which is often used to help products penetrate the skin. Though more research is necessary, balsam fir oil still offers a fresh, outdoorsy scent. Add to cosmetic products to bring the great outdoors with you everywhere you go.
Next, 1g of balsam fir essential oil to 100g of liquid soap. Give it a try, and see what you think before deciding to add more. Use different blends of essential oils to create new combinations, or even try your hand at making soap from scratch!
Best Blending Partners
Balsam fir essential oil is one of the most popular oils sold by VINEVIDA. This is due in part to its amazing woodsy fragrance, but also because of the sheer amount of potential benefits it contains. As always use essential oils with caution, ensuring you never ingest them or apply them directly to the skin. As a side note, some people have been wondering if balsam fir essential oil is safe for dogs. Our four-legged friends have a lot stronger sniffers than we do, so the smell of oils may make them uncomfortable. If you are going to use balsam fir oil around your pet, it is better to use a passive diffuser option, such as reeds. Make sure your dog doesn’t ingest or come in contact with the oil and pay close attention to see whether he or she exhibits signs of discomfort. If so, it is best to cease use.
Wholesale Essential Oils for Soapmaking
In line with the recent increase in demand for clean, organic products, many people want to buy soaps they know are free of synthetic chemicals. Essential oils are the perfect addition to natural soaps, as they offer strong fragrances without all the toxins. Here at VINEVIDA, we offer premium wholesale essential oils at a price you can afford. Contact us now to find out how we can provide you with what you need.